Tips For A Successful Home Showing
Real estate showings give potential buyers the opportunity to see and experience your home in person. According to a recent study, 79% of buyers said that taking a private tour was extremely or very important to their home-buying decision.
So, here are 10 tips for having a successful showing!
- Clean thoroughly: Steam the carpets, mop or vacuum hard floors, clean windows, polish appliances and give the bathrooms a serious scrubbing.
- Depersonalize and declutter: Room by room, remove little items that clutter up space and make rooms look smaller. Remove family photos and personalized decor, you want buyers to picture themselves living in the home, and they can’t do that with your family pictures on the wall.
- Rearrange furniture as needed: Remove furniture to make rooms seem bigger, and swap pieces in and out of different rooms to give each space an obvious purpose. For example, add a desk and chair to a bonus room to show it as a home office, or move a twin bed into an empty bedroom.
- Don’t forget the outside: Curb appeal helps your home make its first impression, and your to-do list will vary seasonally. Common tasks include planting flowers, pulling weeds, and mowing the lawn.
- Keep storage spaces tidy: Every buyer is looking for a home with plenty of storage, which means they’re going to be opening your closets, pantry, and garage doors.
- Highlight the best features: Identify the features that are most attractive about your home. If you have beautiful hardwood floors, remove the rug that’s covering them up. Love your stainless steel appliances? Don’t hide them behind refrigerator magnets.
- Secure your belongings: Lock away any valuables to avoid theft of expensive items or private information.
- Have a plan for pets and kids: Your showings are much more likely to go smoothly if family pets or young family members aren’t around.
- Set the thermostat to a comfortable temperature: If tours will be happening when you’re at work and you usually turn the heat off, keep it on so that buyers will be comfortable during their tour. The same goes for the summer, if you have a nice, cool house, buyers will be inclined to stay longer and enjoy the home.
- Provide refreshments: Make your home feel welcoming with snacks, candy, and desserts. Don’t forget to leave a garbage can in plain sight so visitors can clean up after themselves.
Enter your contact information to schedule time with an agent.
Would you like to know your home's estimated value? Our free market analysis service provides you with your property's current market value and suggested selling price!View Resource
Let’s take a moment to talk about how we use both traditional and online strategies to promote your home to the largest group of qualified buyers.View Resource
When you hire us to list your property we provide you a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) which is a compilation of recent sales from your area.View Resource
Are you thinking about selling? If so, the video resources below cover many of the common questions that most people have during the home selling journey.View Resource